The Millard Story
The name that caravaners have trusted for over 70 years
The history of Millard Caravans dates back to circa 1947 when Irishman Jim Darlington started building caravans in a small factory in Mortlake, a southern suburb of Sydney. Jim had two sons, John and a younger brother, Peter.
Around 1954 the business was moved to Wicks Road, North Road in Sydney and John Darlington took over the reigns under the guidance of his father Jim. Peter also joined the business, working as a carpenter and finally on to the executive team. John’s wife May, was perturbed because the early Millard caravan range was limited to just two colours. She became involved in the interior decorating of the vans, introducing the homely touch in her choice of colours for full length curtains and other furnishings.
It appears the brand name Millard was introduced by John Darlington whose middle name was Millerd (with an “e”). A check of family history websites shows the Irish name to be interchangeable with Millard.